Saturday, March 13, 2010

Bubbly!

My soda maker is really cool, and also fantastically economical and healthy. I have two reusable bottles that I fill with tap water, refrigerate until cold, and then carbonate. I make tons of flavors but today I am going to give you a two-fer. If you have a juicer, this is the time to use it.Juice a bundle of big cucumbers, maybe 6, then juice 6 key limes as well. Mix that up (remove any froth) that is a delicious juice right there. Now we have sweetening options. Grape juice (green grapes are best) or apple juice (green are preferable, again) straight from your juicer is your best option. I was out of both, so I used some simple syrup (ratio of 1 cup water to 1 cup sugar) that I keep in the fridge. Simple syrup is simple, you just heat up some boiling water and then stir in an equal amount of sugar, I do it in the microwave (just be careful not to overheat once the sugar is in there or you start making candy and whatnot). So sweeten your cucumber lime juice until it suits your tastes, then fill some popsicle molds with the juice. They are delicious and green! BUT!!!! Don't use all the juice, take an amount (maybe half, maybe a cup, whatever you're into) and add an equal part of carbonated water from your soda machine or just from the store. You may need to add a bit more of your sweetener here, but it is a light, grassy, citrusy, barely sweet soda that is so much better then that can of whatever you were probably going to drink before (unless it was one of those canned juice spritzers, which are acceptable but still not as healthy or tasty). There you go, popsicles and cucumber-lime soda. They will be gone soon because they taste like spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment